The Boat House Crew
The Boat House is one of the premier Fine Dining venues in Ireland. With a real commitment to local produce and sustainability, creating dishes with skill and passion that wow the mind as well as the tastes buds. As well as serving great drinks and wines at affordable prices in a casual relaxed atmosphere. Offering a total meal experience that elevates the meal experience into something completely different.
Key to creating this experience are our crew …
About the Company
The Boat House Dining is part of a family of businesses owned by the Sharp family, including The Salty Dog, The Salty Pup, and the Peppery Cat. Employment policies are common across the businesses.
The Boat House is a 36-cover restaurant located in The Old Harbour Master’s Office in Bangor County Down. With a passion for working with local suppliers and local ingredients as well as developing young professionals, it has seen many team members go onto their own businesses. We are also passionate about wine and serving great wines at affordable prices as part of an overall dining experience.
The Restaurant is open from Wednesday to Saturday. There may be occasional events outside those days.
For all these reasons, we believe that working at The Boat House should be every bit as good an experience as that of the guests. As part of this ambition, we have undertaken various initiatives … from adopting the £9.90 Living Wage to Being Clear on Tips and Supporting individuals’ charitable efforts.
Click on the links below to find out more.
The Chef Network Kitchen Charter
We also subscribe to the Chef Network Kitchen Charter. The Charter was created by chefs for chefs to encourage positive change in the kitchen. Based on 5 Principles, with key areas for action under each and examples from the chef community on how to achieve them, the charter provides guidelines that every individual kitchen can implement in a way that best suits their environment and their team. We have adopted these for all departments within the hotel. This charter does rely on both sides having respect for each other and themselves. For more information Click Here …
As Northern Ireland’s 4th largest private-sector employer the hospitality industry already offers a ‘no barrier’ entry route to a career that can provide both vocational and life skills, offering a wide range of opportunities across multiple roles. To support individual businesses, Hospitality Ulster has developed the ‘Hospitality Employers Charter’. All Hospitality Businesses are invited to sign, with signatories committing to a fast-track development and reward programme. For more information on the commitments Click Here …
Real Living Wage
The Real Living Wage is the only UK wage rate that is voluntarily paid by over 7,000 UK businesses who believe their staff deserve a wage that meets everyday needs – like the weekly shop or a surprise trip to the dentist. The Real Living Wage rates are higher than government rates because they are independently calculated based on what people need to get by and not stepped by age..
We believe that it is important that our team does not have to worry about the basics, so we have committed to following the recommendations of the Living Wage Foundation to ensure our team earns a wage that meets the costs of living, not just the government minimum.
Tips and Gratuities
As there has been a lot of negative press recently about tips and gratuities we have followed the British Hospitality Association’s advice and made our position clear. All tips and gratuities are passed directly to the staff. There is no amount taken by the business. Click Here for more details …
Training and Development
We encourage team members to undertake as much training as possible. We work closely with the team at SERC to identify the best method of learning for the individual and work with them to help the team member to achieve as high a qualification level as they can. Any bonuses due to the business for a member of staff undertaking training is passed on to that member of staff on completion of their training.
Any member of staff seeking to undertake recognised training courses will be allowed paid time off to support them. We also complete a personalised development programme for every member of staff, whether it is a holiday job or a career that they are part of the crew for.
Over the years previous crew members have gone into work for some of the world’s top restaurants and also started their own businesses.
As a business, we support 3 charities and those charities that our crew members give their time to…
Free staff meals when on duty.
Members of staff are entitled to eat free when dining with at least one other person.
Direct family can enjoy a 10% discount on food (mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter)
Once a year in their birthday month team members can enjoy a complimentary 3-course meal for 2, with a cocktail beforehand and a bottle of wine with the meal. This allows them to enjoy the full Boat House experience as a guest.
Bonus Scheme for referring new Crew Members.
We are always keen to meet people interested in the industry, whether changing jobs or just starting out, and we would be more than happy to have a discussion with you and look at the various options (warts and all).
We can provide work experience for school and college students and internships for those looking for experience.
Drop us a line on email@example.com with a CV and a brief note about why you would like to work with us (or in the industry generally) and we promise we will get back to you.
As an employer, we are committed to the principle of equal opportunity in the employment of staff, for full details of our policy Click Here.
Restaurant Manager – £26,000 pa (plus tips and bonus)
The Boat House Dining is one of Northern Ireland’s premier restaurants offering the highest quality cuisine complemented by unparalleled service in a relaxed atmosphere.
Chef John Hollywood offers a technically complex yet engaging menu with various themes and flavours as well as imaginative techniques to reduce waste and increase sustainability highlighting local ingredients. We are currently looking for a restaurant manager to join John in driving the business forward.
In the role of Restaurant Manager, you will oversee and manage the restaurant service team to consistently provide a superlative guest experience, making sure that the drinks service matches the creativity and innovation of the kitchen. You will constantly evaluate, train and improve the experience our guests receive, whilst optimising opportunities to hit and exceed budgeted targets.
The Restaurant is open Wednesday to Saturday. There may be occasional events outside those days.
The Restaurant Manager will be expected;
- To lead by example with regard to service standards as required for an ambitious restaurant
- To ensure a truly warm and welcoming experience for all guests and visitors dining in the restaurant
- To ensure that guest expectations are exceeded at all times in all areas of restaurant service delivery
- To possess an outstanding knowledge of all food, wines, cooking techniques and allergy requirements to ensure guests can be advised appropriately at all times
- To possess an outstanding knowledge of restaurant service styles
- To create seasonal cocktail lists in the ethos of the restaurant
- To create wine pairings for the dishes created in the kitchen
- To oversee the day-to-day management of the restaurant team ensuring exceptional standards are delivered and maintained
- To manage from the front by running and overseeing shifts. Remaining hands-on within the operation
- To ensure the restaurant is always presented perfectly, with a strong focus on cleanliness and hygiene
- To competently manage the ordering and control of stock items ensuring availability at all times
- To manage back of house service areas to include cleanliness, hygiene, stock control, and wastage
- Manage and maintain a strong and effective relationship with the kitchen team
- To be responsible for training and mentoring the Restaurant front of house team
- To optimise sales and work alongside the owner to develop the business.
- To generate social media content and work with the Social Media Manager on themes and concepts
- To perform all duties and responsibilities in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with established company policies and procedures to achieve the overall objectives of this position
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful Restaurant Manager will have;
- The determination to create a memorable guest experience
- A true passion for all things food and beverage
- Have a passion and strong knowledge for all things food and beverage.
- An understanding of the ingredients we use, cooking methods and understand various dietary requirements
- A strong knowledge of drinks of all sorts: coffees, teas, soft, cocktails, mocktails, beers and wines. Keeping up with the current trends.
- An ability to manage team members ensuring they deliver consistent quality of service
- Previous managerial fine dining restaurant service experience
- A strong restaurant background from within hotel or restaurant sector at a 5* luxury standard
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- A sound commercial and financial awareness
- Proven organisational skills
- Proven track record as a strong team leader
- Have a keen eye for detail
- A strong understanding of the high standards that are demanded from an ambitious restaurant.
- Drive to work within the pressure of a busy luxury restaurant environment
Hospitality is all about people and the ownership of the Boat House Dining are committed to ensuring our people are happy and well rewarded so that in turn, they pass the positivity onto our guests. As well as excellent training, development and progression opportunities, other benefits for successful candidates include;
- Competitive salary
- Management Incentive Plan
- Complimentary meals whilst on duty
- Share of tips
- Loyalty incentives
- Discounts on food and beverage across the sister businesses
Waiters – £9.90 per hour
Waiting on tables, taking orders, preparing coffees, and serving wines and other drinks. Experience is essential. Good background knowledge of food and wine is required.
Applicants must be able to communicate with guests on the source of the food and drinks served at The Boat House.